International Arbitration Construction Experts
International construction projects (projects located outside the United States) comprise a large portion of Interface Consulting’s project portfolio. Our work history includes projects in over 45 countries located on almost every continent including Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia, North America, and South America. From Saudi Arabia to Thailand to Nigeria to Aruba, Interface Consulting’s international construction expertise has benefited hundreds of clients across a range of industries. Our approach involves an appreciation of the unique laws, regulations, and customs, as well as contractual nuances, which are an integral part of international construction projects.
Our construction experts have provided analysis and other services for various project types including:
- Chemical and petrochemical facilities
- Oil and gas production facilities
- High-rise residential and commercial buildings
- Power plants
- Light rail and railroads
- Resorts, hotels, and casinos
- Roads and highways
Our consultants provide services to owners, contractors, insurers, attorneys, and other parties involved in construction projects.
In a matter held under London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) rules and procedures, Interface Consulting’s experts testified on schedule delay and construction management issues. The project involved a retrofitted bio-ethanol plant that suffered delays and increased costs.
In a dispute filed under the Vienna International Arbitral Centre (VIAC) our experts testified regarding the construction management and schedule delay of a bio-diesel plant with a 100,000-tonne-per-year production capacity.
Interface Consulting consultants also testified as experts in a United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) arbitration involving an LNG facility in Yemen and in a dispute involving a UK-based EPC firm and the US Strategic Petroleum Reserve.
Projects performed across the globe involving parties in multiple countries often include arbitration provisions in the construction contracts that address potential disputes. These dispute resolution provisions often stipulate a specific arbitration forum, such as International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) International Court of Arbitration or the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA). International arbitration forums provide an effective and efficient method for resolving complex construction disputes. Interface Consulting consultants can provide the engineering and construction expertise to assist parties with preparing for an arbitration hearing, settling disputes, or testifying on complex construction issues. We offer extensive experience reviewing, analyzing, and advising on international construction contracts.
Interface Consulting provides an array of services related to international arbitration disputes, including the following:
- Expert testimony on claims involving issues such as:
- Labor productivity
- Schedule delay and disruption
- Damage and delay quantification
- Engineering, design, and construction defects
- Schedule acceleration
- Constructive acceleration
- Contract suspension
- Contract termination
- Impacts of force majeure events
- Differing site conditions
- Construction change
- Analyzing and preparing claims related to the issues above prior to an arbitration filing on complex international projects
- Preparation of written construction expert reports relative to the issues above
- Preparation of rebuttal or response reports relative to construction disputes
- Preparation of demonstrative evidence for use in international arbitration hearings
- Document management
Interface Consulting’s construction experts have testified in the world’s premier international arbitration forums, including the following:
- Vienna International Arbitral Centre (VIAC)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL)
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) International Court of Arbitration
Other international arbitration forums related to the construction industry include:
- Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC)
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), a division of the American Arbitration Association
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (ACICA)
- London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA)
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC)
- Belgian Centre for Arbitration and Mediation (CEPANI)
- Conflict Resolution Centre (CRC – Hong Kong)
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA – The Hague, The Netherlands)
- Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (CRCICA)
Interface Consulting’s experienced construction experts can assist with all phases of an international dispute, from providing advice on the strengths and weaknesses of a potential claim, to the preparation or defense of an initial claim, to providing complete expert witness testifying involvement throughout an arbitration hearing. Our in-house team of consultants can provide all necessary services to manage the case, from document management and discovery to demonstrative exhibits for hearing.