Design & Construction Defects Experts
As experts in construction management, Interface Consulting evaluates and analyzes a wide array of design and construction problems, including construction defects. Despite the best laid plans, construction defects still occur. Interface Consulting has a long history of evaluating and analyzing construction defects for all parties involved in the construction process including, but not limited to, the following:
- Owners and developers
- Contractors and subcontractors
- Architects, designers, and engineers
- Vendors and material suppliers
- Insurance and bonding companies
- Banks and lending institutions
- Government and municipal agencies
Interface Consulting’s experienced consultants perform a thorough forensic investigation to determine the root cause of the problem. Design and construction defects can and do occur due to a variety of problems, including the following:
- The owner chooses materials or hardware or provides owner-furnished material, which is not sufficient for the purpose intended.
- The architect/engineer specifies the incorrect material, or fails to specify the materials to be used.
- The contractor’s quality control and workmanship is poor or the contractor didn’t follow the proper construction/installation guidelines.
- The contractor/subcontractor uses substandard materials in an effort to reduce costs.
- The material supplier’s product is insufficient or defective.
All of the above, as well as many other design and construction defects, can lead to issues such as cosmetic defects, water intrusion/water infiltration, mold, structural instability, excessive foundation movement, code violations, etc. These can result in problems during construction, as well as claims and disputes after the project is completed.
Interface Consulting provides a wide range of design- and construction defect-related services including assisting our clients with avoiding potential issues during construction, as well as performing after-the-fact site investigations and forensic analyses as experts in litigation and arbitration. Interface Consulting’s services include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Construction Drawing and Specification Review
- Design Consistency and Constructability Analysis
- On-site Inspections/Standard of Care Reviews
- Relevant Building Code and Industry Standard Compliance
- Root Cause Analysis
- Remediation and Repair Recommendations/Cost to Repair
- Forensic Defect Evaluation
- Destructive/Non-destructive Testing
- Building Envelope/Moisture Infiltration
- Water Damage/Mold
- Property Damage Assessment
- Material Quality
- Selection and Coordination with Other Experts
- Quantification of Damages
- Direct Cost of Repair
- Diminished Value Analysis
- Loss of Use and Other Indirect Damages
Interface Consulting’s experts are knowledgeable about design- and construction-related defects. Our consultants are also experienced in determining the damages caused by the defect and quantifying the costs to perform the necessary repairs. Our expertise allows us to identify and persuasively demonstrate the root cause of the defect, accurately quantify damages related to the defects, and provide effective testimony regarding our expert opinions in litigation and arbitration.